Colonial CD Books
New Zealand Historical & Genealogical Copy Services & Products
Wises 1912 Directory to Every Place in New Zealand F
FABIAN'S VALLEY, Marlhorough. 22 miles south-west by coach from Blenheim. Coach leaves Blenheim Wednesday and Saturday for Waiau Valley, which is nearest telephone office (fare 6s 6d). thence seven miles by mail cart every Saturday. Good trout fishing and deerstalking. Accommodation would have to be arranged for amongst settlers. Named after Joseph Fabian, the first man to take up a section here in the fifties. Situated (hi the Wairau River.
FAIRBURN'S, Auckland. 204 miles from Auckland by weekly steamer Wednesday (fare, return, 50s), and 20 miles north by in-weekly coach from Mangouni (5s). ln Mangomn County. An agricultural district, with post and telegraph office. Is a very picturesque valley-about eight miles long, with a fresh water river (in which eels and trout abound in large numbers) running almost parallel with the road. Shooting season is one of the busiest seasons here, as this is considered one of the best districts for native and imported game. Creamery and sawmill. Named after surveyor of the district. Nearest doctor at Kaitai. 10 m.
FAIRDOWN JUNCTION, Nelson. Six miles and a-half east from Westport by rail. In Buller County. Post office, and nearest telegraph office at Waimangaroa Junction, 3 miles. Nearest doctor at Westport.
FAIRFAX, Otago. 25 miles north-west from Invercargill, and on railway line between Thornbury and Otautau. Very prettily situated at foot of Longwood Range, and facing Jacob's River; 10 miles from sea coast. Agriculture, oats, and wheat—average yield of bushels oats 40, wheat 35. Excellent shooting on the range, and fishing in Jamb's River. Very good roads for cycling. Has one hotel, post, telephone, telegraph, and money order office. Doctor at Otautau. 6 miles.
FAIRFAX. Near Milton. Now called Tokoiti.
FAIRFIELD, Otago. Seven miles from Dunedin. Rail to Abbotsford, which is nearest telephone office, thence three miles. A coalpit locality. Nearest doctor at Abbotsford. 3 miles. Named by William Martin, who arrived in New Zealand in 1848 and eventually settled at what he thought a fair field.
FAIRFIELD, Canterbury. Is the railway name for Fairton, which see.
FAIRLIE, Canterbury. On Opihi River. A prosperous fanning township and district, 39 miles north-west by rail from Timaru—railway terminus. Motors start from here Tu., Thur., and Sat., returning moil, Wed., and Fri., for Mount Cook Hermitage via Lakes Tekapo and Tukaki. Silverstream (six miles. 3s. 5s) and Burke's Pass (13 miles. 5s, 7s 6d) are also served by coaches on Tuesday and Friday. Lake Ohau may be reached from here by coach or hire. Shooting—goats, pigs, wild cattle, deer, swan, geese, hares, ducks, rabbits in the ranges and lakes. Trout fishing in streams in township. Two hotels, and good private board 30s. flood cycling roads. Post, telegraph, and money order office. Mails arriving and departing •dally. Local doctor. Bank N.Z.
FAIRLIE CREEK. See Fairlie.
FAIRLICHT. 79 miles from Invercargill by rail. See Nokomai, six miles off.
FAIRTON, Canterbury. 49 miles from Christchurch (Fairfield station), and four from Ashburton. The site of large freezing works. Nearest telephone office Ashburton. 4 m. where doctor is.
FAIRVIEW, Canterbury. A pastoral and agricultural settlement five miles from Tinuiru hy hire. Oood cycling roads. Nearest telephone office Timaru, 5 in. In 1887 was known as Seaview. Name changed by P.O. Nearest doctor resides at Timaru.
FANAL ISLANDS. 14 to 20 in N.W. of Great Barrier Island.
FANNING ISLAND. An atoll enclosing a large and shallow lagoon in latitude 34 deg 54min 38sec N., longitude 159dei; 23min 27sec. W. It was discovered by Captain K. Fanning, of the ship Betsy, in 1798, and named after him. The island was formally taken possession of by Britain on 15th March. 1888. by Captain Sir Wm. Wiseman. of H.M.S. Caroline. Cables from Vancouver and Fiji are landed here at Whaler Anchorage on the west of the island. Mail steamers once in eight weeks call and stay about four hours. The control of this island rests with the High Commissioner for the Western Pacific. The island has been bought by a private individual. The New Zealand Government. as part owners of the Pacific Cable, has opened a postal agency here, with money order and savings hank, and telegraph office. A doctor is attached to the staff of Pacific Cable Station.
FARADAY MOUNT (542611), a peak of Paparoa range.
FAREWELL CAPE AND SPIT. Is the western entrance to Cook Strait, where a light is exhibited from a lighthouse erected on Bushend Point, at the Spit, connected by telegraph. See also Collingwood and Pakawau
FARMERS POINT. Fast coast of Auckland, N. of Doubtless Bay.
FARNDON. 6 in from Napier by rail. See Clive, which is the postal township, one quarter of a mile off.
FEATHERSTON, Wellington. A prosperous township and town district, with a population of 670. Is situated at the foot of the Wairarapa Valley, and the first town touched at in the Wairarapa Plain: 45 miles north by mil from Wellington, in Wairarapa County. Two banks—N.Z. and Australasia. Telegraph, money order, savings bank, and Government offices. Half-holiday held on Thursday. Featherston is a distributing centre for a rich agricultural and pastoral country, and has butter, cheese, and dairy factories. Two hotels and several boarding houses in township. Roads lead from here to Martinborough and the East Coast, and also down the Wairarapa Valley to Palliser Bay. Has a high-pressure water supply. Telephone. Resident doctor. Named after Dr Featherston.
FEILDING, Wellington. The third largest inland borough town in the North Island, with a population at last census of 3500: has become one of the most important towns on the West Coast. It is the centre of a very fine district, and the outlet and distributing centre for n large tract of the country inland, the forest on which is being rapidly cleared and the land being settled upon. The town has a good water supply, is lighted with gas, well laid out, has wide streets, a fine square in the centre, and many fine buildings and residences. It is situated 100 miles north-east by rail from Wellington and 51 miles southwest from Wanganui. Post, telegraph, and money order office. There are four banks and a daily evening newspaper. There are numerous dairy factories established in the neighbourhood, dairy and sheep farming being the chief industries. The works, apart from the sash and door mills, are flourmills and brewery. Good hotels and private boarding houses. Coaches run from here daily to Ohakea, 16 miles. 5s return; Rangiwahia, 36 miles, 10s single; Pemberton. 32 miles, 10s single; Kimbolton. 17 miles, 5s single; Kiwitea. 12 miles, 3s; Cheltenham, 9 miles, 2s 6d : Waituna West, 16 miles, 5s—8s; Cunninghams, 12 miles, 2s—4s; Rongotea, 12 miles. 2s 6d—4s ; Awahuri, five miles, Is—2s ; Carnarvon, 20 miles, 4s—6s : Sanson. 12 miles, 2s 6d—4s; Colyton, six miles, 2s single; Apiti, 27 miles, 8s single. On the seaward side, for a distance of 20 miles, there is also much good agricultural land, extending on the north-west to the Rangitikei River, and including the township of Halcombe. Half holiday is held here on Wednesday. The unimproved value of property in the borough is £450.130. with a general rate of 1 ½ d. special 1 ½ d, and library rate of 1-16d in the £. The miles of formed streets are 26 ½ . There is-a High School, two private clubs, and a jockey club in the town, as well as the usual athletic, social, and musical clubs and societies, and a free public library.
Feilding was a special settlement opened out about the year 1874 by an English company represented by the Hon. Colonel Feilding (from whom this town takes its name) and presided over by the Duke of Manchester, called the Emigrants' and Colonists' Aid Corporation. The company acquired a valuable block of 206.000 acres on favourable conditions from Government, on condition of the company landing and locating a certain number of immigrants within a given time. About 614 immigrants were. soon on the ground and carried out the preliminaries of colonisation with every success. This is the origin of what is now a successful town, the centre of a thriving district. Population 3163. but a large residential portion is outside the borough.
FELDWICK, Southland. On Orawia River, five miles from Eastern Bush, which see.
FENCOURT. Four miles from Cambridge. Named from the English fens, the ground here being once swampy. Fencourt has been changed to name of Bruntwood, which see. Doctor at Cambridge.
FENDALTON. A suburb of Christchurch, which see.
FENIANS. Mining district near Karamea.
FERGUS LAKE. Near Lake Gunn, Clinton River.
FERGUSON MOUNT. Richardson Range, near Shotover River.
FERGUSON'S, Westland. 31 miles south from Hokitika, and nine miles from Ross, on the Great South Road; by mail coach to Ross every Tuesday, thence by horse. Good shooting and fishing. Good roads. Post and telegraph office.
FERN BAY. In Lyttelton Harbour.
FERNCOURT. Near Hautapu.
FERNDALE, Southland. 37 miles north from Invercargill. Rail to Charlton. thence 1 m. Mataura is nearest telephone office. Fanning locality, with trout fishing, duck and rabbit shooting. Called Ferndale by teacher of first school held in private house among a dale or valley of bracken fern. Nearest doctor at Mataura, 5 m.
FERN FLAT, Nelson. 51 miles north by coach Tuesday and Friday (25s) from Westport. Is a fanning district in Inangahua Cuunty. On the Buller River. Wild duck and pigeon shooting, and tront fishing obtainable. Coach from Motupiko Tuesday and Friday (25s). Telephone and money order office. Is in the heart of the beautiful Bnller Valley and derived its name from it being covered by bracken fern. Hotel and boardinghouse. Nearest doctor. 5 m.
FERNFLAT. See Peria.
FERN FLATS. See Marton.
FERNHILL, Hawke's Bay. 12 miles west from Napier by daily coach 2s. Wool and grain growing. Good roads. On the Ngaruroro River. 6 m from Hastings by good cycling road; Omahti, a Maori village, just across the river. Post and Telephone office at Hastings.
FERNHILL. See Picton.
FERN HILLS. See Harrington's for post and telephone office.
FERNIEHURST. See Kaikoura.
FERNRIDGE. See Masterton, of which it is a suburb.
FERNSIDE, Canterbury. 24 miles north-west by rail from Christchurch, and three miles from Rangiora. Farming district. Good land nearest accommodation and doctor at Rangiora. Post and telephone office.
FERNSIDE, Wellington. Two miles from Featherston, which is the postal office for here. A railway siding only.
FERN TOWN, Nelson. Named after Fernton, Scotland, by early Scotch settlers. A small farming and coal mining settlement 67 miles north-west, by s.s. Lady Barkly bi-weekly from Nelson, fare- 16s return. Situated on the shore of Golden or Massacre Bay. A part of the coast of special interest as being the scene of the murder of some of Abel Tasman's seamen. Along the hills are seams of bituminous coal 2ft to 3ft in thickness, which no doubt will be worked in connection with a deposit of iron ore known as the Para Para deposit. There is also a valuable deposit of plumbago here, while marble and gold-bearing quartz have been found in sandhills, samples of which are being shown at the Christchurch Exhibition. Post office and telephone communication with Collingwood. Plenty of rabbit and hare shooting.
FERRY HILL (2259ft), at back of Queenstown.
FIFESHIRE ISLAND. Rock at entrance to Nelson Harbour. So-called because ship Fifeshire was wrecked on it when going out. Also known as Arran Rock.
FINLAYSON BUSH. See Toka Toka.
FISHERMAN'S BAY. Small bay on S.E. of Banks Peninsula.
FISHERS ISLAND. Near Motueka.
FISHES TAIL. Slip on high hill. Wairau Valley, resembling a fish tail.
FISHING in fresh water in the colony has been a success only for comparatively a few years, as until the acclimatisation societies introduced fresh water fish by hatching from spawn, there was no fish to be caught, except here and there eels, grayling, and whitebait which with crayfish are the only fish native to the colony. The N.Z. Government has always assisted the acclimatisation societies in their efforts, and frequently at the cost of the country have imported spawn at great expense. Thanks to these united efforts, the sport of fresh water fishing is now excellent all over the colony, as its rivers and lakes are well stocked with several good varieties of fish, which being protected at certain seasons are increasing in numbers every year. Very many attempts have been made at great expense of money and labour to introduce European and American salmon. but although the hatching out has been highly successful and thousands of young fish liberated in certain rivers of both islands, the salmon is not yet found. The young fish thrive well enough at first, but in going to sea they apparently meet with dangers as they have not been found when they should have returned to spawn. It was in 1868 the first trout were introduced into the southern rivers of N.Z., and since then they have increased as noted above. Salmon trout, American (California!!) brook trout, carp, perch, and tench all thrive in the N.Z. rivers. Capital trout fishing throughout the season, which usually extends from October 1 to April 30, may be obtained by taking the earlier rivers in the north first and later on in the year moving down to the colder rivers of the south, in which the fish are later in growing into condition. The same style of tackle as elsewhere is used; say a 14ft. rod for minnow fishing in the larger streams, and a 12ft. rod for fly fishing in the smaller streams. Outfits may be bought at reasonable prices at any of the larger centres,-and tackle will need to be reliable as the fish often run from 10lb. to 16ib. and even heavier, although the average is about from 3lb. to 4lb. Good trout fishing may be obtained in almost every river in the colony and at the commencement of the season many of them are alive with fish. The rivers are all practically free, as landowners seldom object to fishers going on their properties and the banks of most of the larger rivers are Crown lands. Fishers should note that a license ;s required and one license is practically available throughout the colony, as each acclimatisation society, which alone have the power to issue licenses, endorses licenses issued by kindred societies. The following list gives many of the rivers and lakes of the different provinces in which there is more or less good fishing, with the kind of fish noted, as well as the townships to go to on such rivers, for which also refer to the Towns throughout this work. It will be observed that the fish native to N.Z. are chiefly in Westland, the west coast of the South Island, and that trout are spread well throughout the colony but greater in the southern and colder districts. The secretary of the acclimatisation society in each district is always willing to afford information (see N.Z. Post Office Directory for list of societies).
SEA FISH. The fish that are found around the coast of New Zealand which are used as food are hapuku, trevally, moki, red cod, garfish, flounders, mullet, groper, schnapper, tarakihi. gurnard. wrasse, whiting, patiki, and barracoota. Around the coast of North Island only are rawas, kahawai, karati. and gurnet ; and at the South Island only are red cod, blue end, ling. trumpeter, butter fish, frost fish, hake, and haddock. Of about 140 species given as found in N.Z., 67 are peculiar to X.Z., while the others are common to Australia and elsewhere. Trumpeter are only caught at the Kaikouras. The net fishing is usually done inside harbour* on dear beaches for the following:—Mullet, flounders, soles, butter fish, garfish, trevally, gurnard, herring, haddock, sea and brown trout; while frost fish are occasionally got on the beaches in frosty weather. Most of the sea fishing in N.Z. is done in open boats, which go out and return with the tides. And in the summer time a very good day's sport may be had with sea lines by going out with the fishermen from any of the ports, who will provide lines, bait, £c., for a small douceur. A good day at schnapper or barracouta is worth going a distance to obtain. Steam trawling is extensively carried on round the coast.
FISHING BAY. Port Ligar.
FTTZHERBERT. See Palmerston North.
FITZHERBERT WEST. 94 miles north-west from Wellington. Farming district. Good roads for cycling. Nearest telephone office Palmerston North. 4 m distant. Daily mail service. Rail to Palmerston North, thence 4 in on Manawatu River. Named after Sir Wm. Fitzherbert. Nearest doctor at Palmerston North".
FITZROY, Taranaki. A suburb of New Plymouth, distant Two miles, which see. Has a bacon factory. Fishing near the mouth of Waiwakaiho River. Post and telephone office. Is a town district. Bus between Fitzroy and New Plymouth hourly. Has municipal abattoirs. FITZROY. A port on Great Barrier Island (which see), visited by steamers from Auckland.
FITZROY BAY. Between Pencarrow and Baring Heads. Wellington. Scene of wreck of Halcione in 1895.
FITZROY BAY. Sheep run. Pelorus Sound.
FIVE MILE. 5 m S. of Okarito. Once a goldfield. See Okarito.
FIVE RIVERS. 58 miles from Invercargill by rail. See Lumsden, five miles off, which is the- post town, and with which it is connected by telephone.
FIVIE BUSH. See Woodlands.
FLAG PEAK (2731ft). on S.E. of Banks Peninsula.
FLAG OF N.Z. By "The New Zealand Ensign Act, 1900," an ensign is established and called the New Zealand Ensign, being the blue ensign of the Royal Naval Reserve, having on the fly thereof the Southern Cross, as represented by four fire-pointed red stars with white borders. This is now the New Zealand flag.
FLAG POLK. Highest peak in Malvern Hills. Canterbury.
FLAG SWAMP, Otago. Rail to Goodwood from Dunedin, 37 miles, then one mile walk; in Waikouaiti County. Four miles from Palmerston. Nearest telegraph office is Goodwood, one and a-half miles. The centre of a fine agricultural district. Good cycling roads. No hotel or private boarding. Doctor at Palmerston.
FLAGSTAFF. A mountain overlooking Dunedin and lying to the west. A favourite resort for holiday-makers and visitors. A magnificent sight is obtained from the summit—a splendid panoramic view of Dunedin is obtained—also looking down the coast on a clear day one can see the Taieri Mouth- and Nuggets. The whole of the Taieri Plains, Manngatua Mountain, and the Silver Peaks are also visible. Is the highest peak of the Wakari Range of mountains, and one of the earliest trig stations.
FLAG STAFF. Rocky ledge near Charleston. FLAMBOEOUGH MOUNT. 5 m E. Of Wyndham.
FLAT BUSH. See Otahuhu.
FLAT CREEK, Marlborough. 35 miles from Nelson; in Marlborough County; by tri-weekly coach, each way, fare 14s. Fair roads. No hotel, but a boarding house. Is situated in the Rai Valley. A beautiful river running through the valley, seven miles in length. Good shooting ground for deer, pigs, pigeons. Is 43 miles from Blenheim; good roads for cyclists, being mail coach road. Fare from Blenheim, 14s. Nelson coach arrives here Monday, Wednesday and Friday for Blenheim, returning Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Post and telephone office. Nearest doctor at Havelock. 18 miles. Good trout fishing in the river and at Rai Falls. Good accommodation. The Apouri Valley, 20 in in length, is splendid timber country for sawmillers, outlet being into Nydia Bay, Pelorus Sounds. Large band saw is erected in the district and quite up to date mill and machinery. In mill and bush there will be at least 100 men employed. Great future before it for agriculture.
FLAT ISLAND. The western island of Alderman group; 254ft high.
FLAT POINT. Rail from Wellington to Carterton. Coach to Te Wharau, thence coach. See Te Wharau for post office.
FLAT STREAM, Otago. A. railway siding 31 miles from Wingatui. On the Wingatui Junction-Hyde line. Hindon 5 m distant is nearest post office, which see. Flat Stream 3 in above, where the Deep Stream joins the Taieri River. Railway siding at the confluence of the two rivers is named Deep Stream and causes much confusion with Flat Stream.
FLAX. The manufacture of flax or phormium has much increased of recent years, and the export has increased from 12,927 tons (valued at £251,134) in 1901 to 20,646 tons (valued at £448.414) for the 12 months ended December 31, 1910. A large number of hands are employed on this work throughout the colony. Outside of the question of prices, a large permanent development of this industry depends on the cultivation and careful selection of the plants used, and on improvements in the method of preparing the fibre.
FLAXBOURNE. 32 miles by rail from Blenheim, on River Flaxbourne. Seddon railway to here was opened April 15. 1911. Kaikoura coach departs and arrives here. Post and telephone office.
FLAXMILL. Four miles from Dargaville by rail. See Babylon, which is the postal office, one mile off.
FLAXTON, Canterbury. A farming village 16 miles northwest by rail from Christchurch. Good cycling roads. Trout stream runs through village. Nearest telephone office Ohoka. 2 miles. Nearest doctor Kaiapoi. 3 miles.
FLEA BAY. Near Richmond Bay, Pelorus Sound.
FLEA BAY. Near E. head of Akaroa Harbour.
FLEMING. Railway siding 12 miles from Gore. See Waikaka. which is postal office.
FLEMINCTON, Canterbury. 61 miles south-east from Christchurch. Train to Ashburton, then eight miles coach (Is 6d); in Ashburton County. A cheese and butter factory erected. It was part of the Longbeach estate which was cut up into small farms of from to 400 acres each. It was at one time nothing but a swamp, but it is now all under cultivation and grows splendid crops. It is the centre of the district between Tinwald and Longbeach, the Ashburton-Longbeach coach passing a short distance from the school. Post and telephone.
FLINT'S BUSH. Is the name of a school district, for which Thornbury and Waimatuku are the nearest post offices, and which see. Named after shepherd who in the early days had charge of the property.
FLOCK HILL (3269ft), near Castle Hill, West Coast road, Canterbury.
FLORA OF N.Z. The casual visitor to, or even residents in, the colony are apt to consider that there are few wild flowers, but it is a matter of fact that there are no less than 950 species in the native flora of N.Z. A peculiarity of it is its diversity, ranging from the snow-clad mountain edelweiss to the common but beautiful flowers of the bush. Among the most-widely known wild flowers are the Clematis, Ranunculus or Shepherd's Lily, Cardamine Braya, Stellara, Colobanthus. Claytonia, Hectorella, Viola, or native violet, Hurapuia. Tarata, Hinau, Rauhuia, Manuka, Kowhai, Lyalli, and many others.
FLORAVILLE. Small village North road, near Oamaru.
FLOWERY CREEK. See Stafford.
FLUTO PEAK. On Forbes Mount, near Earnslaw; 8157ft.
FONTMELL. Sheep station near Fairlie.
FORBES MOUNT. At head of Lake Wakatipu.
FORDELL, Wellington. 13 miles south by rail from Wanganui, and four miles from Wangaehu River. Country consists of fine Hats and hills, all fine pastoral country. Good roads. Pheasant, hare, and quail shooting. One hotel, no private board. Telephone and money order office. Nearest doctor is at Wanganui, 8 ½ miles by road.
FORD POINT. See Waiau Pa.
FOREST GATE. In Hawke's Bay, 50 m from Napier by rail to Waipawa, then 10 in.
FOREST HILL. 14 miles from Invercargill. Chief industry is sawmilling. See Grove Bush and Winton, which act as post offices for here.
FORESTVALE. 4 m from Fortrose.
FORGHAM'S FLAT. Near Dairy Flat.
FORK RUN. See Albert-Town.
FORKS. See The Forks (Okarito).
FORSYTH. A railway siding, four miles from Lawrence (which is the nearest telephone office) and 56 miles by rail from Dunedin. Post Office. Named after the maiden name of the wile of engineer who laid off the Lawrence railway. Nearest doctor at Lawrence.
FORSYTH ISLAND, ½ m from mainland in Pelorus Sound, with bay of same name.
FORSYTH LAKE. Near Little River, Banks Peninsula.
FORTIFICATION. 15 in from Fortrose, which see.
FORTIFICATION. Farm settlement in Oamaru district. Nearest post office, Alma. ^
FORTROSE, Southland: At entrance Mataura River, 32 miles south-east from Invercargill. Rail to Waimahaka. thence coach five miles, daily (2s 6d return). Good duck shooting and trout fishing. Maori curios numerous. One hotel, 20s weekly. Post and telephone. Good roads between here and Wyndham Agricultural and dairy farming settlement, with sluicing on Waipapapa Beach, nine miles distant Named after a place on the Scottish Highland Boarders which was a hillfort during the Roman invasion. Doctor at Wyndham. 25 miles.
FORT RESOLUTION. A fortress on St. Stephens Point, Parnell. Auckland.
FORTY-MILE BUSH. Once a colossal forest, but now the site of numerous settlements stretching from Masterton to Manawatu River.
FOURFATHOM BAY. In Pelorus Sound.
FOUR MILE. Near Charleston.
FOUR PEAKS. Near Woodbury.
FOVEAUX STRAIT. Foveaux Strait separates the Middle from Stewart Island. The last-named island has an area of only 425,390 acres. It is mountainous, and for the most part covered with forest. See Stewart Island. Foveaux Strait was named after Major Joseph Foveaux, a favourite of Governor King, of New South Wales. It was discovered in 1808 by Captain I). Stuart, of the Prince of Denmark schooner, in which he sailed through the Strait. In 1824 the Strait was renamed Tees Strait by a -Captain Kent, but the whalers would persist in retaining the original name.
FOWLERS. Now called Kimbolton, which see.
FOXE'S PEAK. Sheep station near Ashwick Flat.
FOXES RIVER. Near Charleston.
FOXHILL, Nelson. A village settlement 22 miles south-west by Motupiko rail from Nelson. A favourite resort for picnic parties. Good hotel, no private board. There are several hop gardens in this district. The Wai-iti River runs through the district, separating it from Quail Valley. Nearest telephone office Belgrove, one mile.
FOX MOUNT. Near Maori Creek, Dunganville.
FOX PEAK. At head of Polnoon Burn, off Shotover River.
FOX'S, Westland. Is one of the many mining townships on the coast; 14 miles east- by coach (Fridays, 4s return) from Hokitika; in Westland County. The nearest telegraph office is at Goldsborough. 3 in off. Doctor at Hokitika.
FOX'S RIVER (Brighton). Near Charleston, and 30 m N. of Greymouth.
FOXTON, Wellington. The terminus of the Foxton-Palmerston branch, line of railway; 20 miles west from Palmerston and 104 miles north-west from Wellington: in Manawatu County. A shipping port of considerable importance, all the coal required for Government railways being landed here direct from Greymouth; a borough town, with a population of 1470. Situated at the mouth of the Manawatu River, in the South Taranaki Bight, and the outlet for a large area of good agricultural land. Mixed and dairy farming, a creamery, and flax-mills and rope works. There are hotels and private boarding houses. Tri-weekly newspaper, agency Bank of N.Z.J post, telegraph, money order, savings bank, and public offices. Good shooting near at hand and fishing in Manawatu. The whitebait netting from the latter is an important industry. Half holiday held in township on Wednesday. Flax grading and wool dumping sheds. Place named after Sir Wm. Fox. a former Premier of New Zealand, who lived here. Resident doctor.
FOYERS. See Fairlie.
FRANCIS MOUNT. On S. end of Rimitaka Range; 3770ft.
FRANKTON, Otago. 208 miles north-west from Dunedin, by rail to Kingston, thence by the steamer to Queenstown, thence walk or daily couth four miles. There is a good hospital here, and the township is near the Kawarau Falls. Good cycling roads and hotel, and also private boarding. In Lake County. Post and telephone office.
FRANKTON JUNCTION. 84 miles by rail from Auckland and one mile from Hamilton: in Waipa County. Junction of the Wellington-Auckland Main Trunk railway and Rotorua line. Coaches from Hamilton meet all trains. One hotel and several good boarding houses. Bacon-curing factory. Named after a son of an old resident (Thomas Jolly). Nearest doctor at Hamilton.
FRASERTOWN, Hawke's Bay. Is at the junction of the Waiau and Wairoa Rivers, in Wairoa County; on main road to Gisborne, four miles from Wairoa and 75 miles by road from Napier. Take steamer from Napier to Wairoa. running when weather permits (fare 7s 6d single. 15s return), and from Wairoa a drive or ride of four miles. Post, money order, and telegraph office. Within easy distance of Maru Maru Caves, Te Reinga Falls, Waikaremoana and Nuhaka Hot Springs. Good pheasant shooting in the immediate neighbourhood. Good trout fishing near Waikaremoana, as fish are now plentiful. Coach bi-weekly to Waikaremoana. One hotel. A Government boardinghouse at the lakes is connected by telephone 'with Frasertown. Named after Colonel Fraser, commander of forces in the Maori war. Doctor at Wairoa 5 m by telephone.
FRAZER'S POINT. See Athenree.
FREEMAN'S, Auckland. Is on the North Shore, eight miles from Auckland City. By steamer to Birkenhead, thence 3 miles by waggonette tri-weekly. In Takapuna County. Has a post office. Good cycling roads. No hotel, but private board may be obtained from the settlers, who are nearly all orchardists. The nearest telegraph office it at Birkenhead, three miles off, where doctor is. Formerly known as Mayfield. but renamed after first postmaster here.
FRENCH BAY; Akaroa.
FRENCH FARM. 49 m from Christchurch, by rail to Little River, thence by coach 13 miles. Post and telegraph office. A bay in Akaroa Harbour, 11 miles by road and 6 miles by sea. Boats run twice weekly. Nearest doctor Akaroa.
FRENCHMAN’S BAY, near Motueka.
FRENCH HILL (2738ft), near Barry's Bay.
FRENCH MOUNT (4277ft). A peak of the Hokonui Range.
FRENCH PASS. A pass 117 yards wide between D'Urville-Island and the northern point of Marlborough Province. A short cut for steamers trading between Nelson and Wellington, saving a run of nearly 40 miles. Post and telegraph office and settlement is at Elmslie's Bay, although post office is known as French Pass. A light is exhibited from the lighthouse erected here, and it is situated on Channel Point, about 50 feet from the low water mark. A peerless region for the tourist, launchman, and sportsman, or anyone failing in health. Accessible from Nelson by steamer daily, and offering the best fishing and hunting in New Zealand. Launches can be hired (25s and 30s per day) for trips around D'Urville, Stephen. Rangitoto, Trios, Chetwood, and other islands, where tuatara lizards and sea birds of all descriptions can be seen. Accommodation house, £2 2s weekly. Here the current runs from eight to ten miles an hour. See Elmslie's Bay. Industries are fishing and sheep farming. Nearest doctor is at Nelson, 35 miles away.
M. T. Dumont D'Urville, a French scientist, and captain in the French navy, afterwards raised to the rank of admiral, who visited New Zealand in 3824, sailed through the French Pass in the corvette Astrolabe, with great risk and trouble during five days—January 24 to January 28, 1827,— and was nearly wrecked. He named the dangerous Strait “Passe de Francais “(French Pass). It is sad to relate, after such a plucky act, that he was killed in a railway accident in Paris.
FRENCH ROCK. See Kermadec Islands.
FRIESTON, near Papanui.
FRIMLEY, near Hastings, Hawke's Bay. A great fruit and grape-growing and New Zealand wine-producing locality, with large vineyards. Named from J. N. William’s station, who about 1897 gave the fruit-growing industry a great start by planting 100 acres in peach trees, and establishing a canning factory. The original orchard represents but a small portion of the trees now planted, and the canning works have become a large concern. There are 90 miles of peach trees. See also Hastings.
FURNEAUX MOUNT (2960ft), Pelorus Sound. Called after captain of the Resolution.